In collaboration with state governments, the central government has started the Solar Rooftop Scheme. The aim of the scheme is to promote the use of solar energy in India.
The central government has aimed to achieve 100GW of solar power capacity by 2022. 40% of the total is to be attained from solar rooftop systems. To encourage people to install solar rooftop systems, the government is providing subsidies upon its installation. The scheme is being implemented in the states by local Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOMs).
SUBSIDY AMOUNT BY THE GOVERNMENT
The Government of India has made solar rooftop subsidies available for government, residential, social and institutional sectors. In order to get the subsidy under the scheme, consumers should install rooftop solar plants only from the empanelled vendors of the DISCOMs following due process of approval by DISCOMs. The scheme includes 5-year maintenance by the vendors.
- For solar rooftop panels up to 3KW, the government is providing a 40% subsidy.
- For solar rooftop panels up to 10KW, a subsidy of 20% will be provided by the government.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SCHEME?
You can follow the steps below to apply for the scheme:
- Visit the website https://solarrooftop.gov.in/
- Click on ‘Apply for Solar Rooftop’.
- Search the name of your State/UT and click on the link in front of it.
- Fill in the required details and submit the form.
A budget of Rs. 5000 crores have already been allocated by the Central Government under the National Solar Mission (NSM). Consumers will pay at the rate of 6.50/kWh using the solar energy system.
For more information, contact your respective DISCOM or dial MNRE’s toll-free number 1800-180-3333.
The advantages of solar panels have been widely known and this will help us curb our carbon footprint and fight against climate change and global warming.